Commencing kindergarten is a very exciting and sometimes scary time for children and parents alike. To ensure your child has an enjoyable and successful transition to school it is important to allow yourself and your child plenty of time to prepare. Below are some tips to assist you.
Things to consider when choosing a school for your child
- Does your child have any specific interests that you would like the school to nurture? This may include sports, music, or languages,
- What facilities does the school provide that will assist your child to reach their full potential?
- Does the school offer any transition to school programs, to assist children and parents to settle into the new community?
- Does the school share the same values as your family with regard to attitude, beliefs, and behaviour? This may include their policies towards punctuality and dress code,
- Do you have religious beliefs, or educational philosophies that you would like the school to share?
- Consider if you have a preference for single sex or co-ed.
- The distance between your home and the school is another important decision, it is important to also consider how your child will get to school.
- Finally, if your child has already established friendships, consider where they are going. Knowing someone at their new school will assist your child in their transition to kindergarten.
Preparing for school
- To ensure your child has an enjoyable and easy transition to school talk to your child about what to expect at school. This includes:
- Talking about the children they already know who will be starting school with them, what it will be like to make new friends, and the many games and activities they will be able to take part in.
- Discussing with your child who will pick them up from school, and reassuring them that someone will be there on time to collect them.
- Practice using their new school bag and lunch box before their first day at school. This will allow your child to get use to opening and closing them, so that it will not be difficult for them when they are at school.
- Practice putting on their school shoes and uniform jacket prior to starting school. This will help them to get use to doing it for themselves.
This is a special time for parents and children, and we hope you enjoy this stage of development with your child.
The Quirky Kid Clinic has social skills and communication program, The Best of Friends™ that assist children and developing key skills prior to kinder garden:
- Review our planned workshops for the year.
- Subscribe to our workshop reminder mail-list
- Prevention is best. If you are concerned about your child transition and for further information on school readiness please contact us.
The Quirky Kid Shoppe is full of useful resources. Below are some recommended resources by our psychologists:
Information for this fact sheet was taken from an interview with Child Psychologist Kimberley O’Brien, the Raising Children Network website and the following article.
Chandler, L,K. (1993). Steps in Preparing for Transition: Preschool to Kindergarten. Teaching Exceptional Children. Volume 25, page 52-55.